Kirstie Alley Isn't Singing Yet...(but she's warming up)

Written By Chad Potier
April 11, 2010


As I sit down to write this the Astros, are 0-5, and about to take on the Phillies, who are 4-1. I want to point out that in no way am I jumping off of the bandwagon (not that there's one to jump off of anyway). I was 6 years old when I went to my first game at the Astrodome vs the Pirates. Larry Dierker had the highest salary on the team making $120,000.00 . That began my lifelong love affair with both baseball and of course the 'Stros.



Growing up in southwest Louisiana, my family took a trip every year to Houston. Thanks to my grandfather's job at the Riviana Foods, we got free tickets to Astros' games. When we moved to Houston in 1988 we got season tickets. My dad, who lost his battle with cancer in 2000, taught me all of the subtle nuances of the game: the sacrifice fly, the hit and run, the shift, the suicide squeeze, and even though it took several attempts, the infield fly rule. He showed me how to keep score and when I thought there was nothing going on in the game, he whispered in my ear to look in the dugout. I saw grand slams, stolen bases, bench clearing brawls, players reach milestones, the last game at the Dome, and the first at Minute Maid (Enron). Since '78 the 'Stros have gone 2956-2759, making the playoffs 9 times and the World Series once, in 2005. That, to me, is what being a fan is all about; the memories.

So while I am disappointed, to say the least, about the 0-5 start, I am reminded that it's a 162 game season. I will call them out and make jokes about them being in the cellar, but as my good friend, Dave Pratt, said to me last night, "God bless those miserable bastards!!!" Keep in mind, the fat lady has yet to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment